Factories Can Reduce Valve Monitoring Investment by 90% with this Retrofit IoT Sensor
Retrofitting a remote monitoring system on existing manual control valves is a nightmare. Why?
- the monitoring devices and position sensors are valve vendor-specific
- they are expensive
- installation requires electricity and data cabling, and possibly a maintenance break.
A factory can have thousands of valves mounted on pipelines, which results in high retrofit investment, and months of deployment time!
There is an alternative – by using a retrofit wireless IoT sensor for valve monitoring; you can now reduce the investment by 90%!
This industry-grade sensor fits on any manual rotary valve, of any manufacturer, and can be installed in just 3 minutes!
Benefits of Remote Valve Monitoring
Remote valve monitoring consists of a few essential components: detecting the valve position with a sensor device mounted on the valve and reporting the valve position data in digital format to the central control system of the factory.
The position of all valves can be remotely monitored on the factory control system in real-time from thousands of different points along with the industrial processes.
For factories and plants in the chemical process industry, pulp and paper, and water and waste-water treatment, remote monitoring of process control valves provides several benefits:
- Remote valve monitoring can bring massive cost savings
- It enables faster process shut down, and recovery after maintenance breaks
- It increases safety at the plant
- Reduces the occurrence of errors and quality deviations
- Provides valuable analytics, and can help to prevent unplanned downtime.
What are the Challenges with the traditional Retrofit Solutions?
Despite the tangible economic benefits, not all factories and plants use remote valve monitoring yet. Retrofitting a monitoring system on thousands of different types of valves, some of which can be very old, and manufactured by different vendors, is costly and time-consuming.
The main challenges with the traditional retrofit solutions are:
- Current valve position sensors typically fit only one type of valve, and different valve manufacturers have their own specific sensor devices – costly hardware investment and time-consuming procurement involving several manufacturers’ products
- Several industrial communication protocols such as Foundation Fieldbus, Profibus, DeviceNet, AS-Interface, and HART require costly software interface customization
- Most traditional valve position sensors and detector products require cabling for electricity and data. This increases installation costs and deployment time when there are thousands of valves in a factory. In the worst case, the deployment requires a maintenance break.
“Factories can reduce their retrofitting investment by up to 90% compared to traditional solutions!”
How does the Wireless Angle Sensor work?
This unique, retrofit Angle sensor can be attached to several types of manual rotary valves including ball, butterfly and globe valves. It is delivered with a generic mounting adapter kit to make installation quick and easy. There is a clamp that mounts the sensor device on a pipe. Its rotating position detector disc is attached on the valve lever with a simple clip.
The wireless sensor doesn’t need any cabling. After being switched on, the sensor automatically connects to your local, industry-grade Wirepas Mesh wireless network. The sensor devices can automatically optimize the radio transmission power and frequency band, whenever required. The power-frugal device runs for years with its battery.
Inside, the Angle sensor device has a magnetic sensor to detect the valve’s position with an accuracy of one degree. It reports position changes over the wireless connection to the central control system of the factory or plant.
Benefits of the Retrofit Angle Sensor vs. Traditional Solutions
Throughout a multi-year industrial investment horizon, the wireless Angle sensor approach brings factories and plants several CAPEX and OPEX savings. Here is a run-down of the most prominent lifetime benefits:
- Quick and easy to install on your valves – no cabling needed. Reduces your deployment and operational costs when thousands of valves are involved.
- Works with several types of rotary valves including ball and butterfly valves made by any manufacturer – reduces your hardware costs and makes procurement easy
- You can avoid costly software customization for industrial communication protocols – the Angle sensor integrates straight into the central control system via an API
- The valve position data is reported to your control system in real-time – enables you to adjust factory processes to their optimal performance levels faster
- With up to date information about all valve positions, you can avoid accidents and increase occupational safety at the plant
- Avoid environmental damage by making sure hazardous substances are not leaked
- The operation staff typically adjusts manual valves based on their tacit knowledge – valve monitoring enables you to digitize and store the tacit knowledge
- End-to-end data collected from all the valves enables you to measure and optimize the processes
Remote Valve Monitoring provides factories and plants, significant benefits – cost savings, better safety, and continuous process optimization. However, digitalization of process valves has been dragging for too long due to high retrofitting investments.
Haltian’s Angle sensor Changes the Remote Valve Monitoring Game with an easy, yet robust alternative with up to 90% lower investment!
Reduce Valve Monitoring Investment by 90% with this Retrofit IoT Sensor
It is Time to Change – Contact us for Smarter Valve Monitoring!
90230 Oulu, Finland
FINLAND CAPITAL AREA
Metallimiehenkuja 10, 02150, Espoo
+44 7933 596 544
GERMANY, AUSTRIA & SWITZERLAND
+49 151 675 321 80
Telephone: +358 10 322 3400
Fax: +358 10 322 3499